Friday, February 27, 2009

Epidural?

I have a dilemma. A big issue with my having babies is that about a week after I deliver, I have a seizure. I have epilepsy, but this is the only time I ever have problems with it. After I had Isaac during my seizure I dislocated my shoulder, and as a result I was barely able to hold him (only if he was being still or sleeping and someone was right there with us) for over a month. During this pregnancy we've been focusing alot on preventing the seizure. I've recently learned that my getting an epidural might be a big factor in why I have the seizure. But I am also a big wimp. I HATE pain, and am already exhausted so much already. Could I do it? How much more tiring is it? Does anyone know what it's like? I'm not even sure I'm actually considering it, but kind of, I guess.

9 comments:

Josh n Betsie said...

I dont know what is like but I would like to try it sometime if I ever have anymore kids. I think I have an allergic reaction to them because my eyes swell and so does my tongue. But who knows if they would even let me because I had a c section. YOU can do it. Just think that the pain doesn't last forever just a short time. I hear that right when the baby is out it is AWESOME!

Haylee said...

I had an unmedicated birth and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. I had also been preparing mentally, physically, emotionally, etc. for such a birth for weeks and weeks. For me, actually having this birth came down to education and teaching my body relaxation on command. Because of the education, I knew which procedures I wanted to avoid (pitocin, amniotomy - breaking the water, continuous electronic fetal monitoring, etc.) because I knew they would increase the pain levels, and typically in a very unnatural way.

That being said, I most definitely think you could do it! I won't lie though, it is not a walk in the park. Labor is hard work; it's supposed to be. But this is what your body was designed to do, create and birth new life.

I'd say you could always look up some information over the next couple of days about positions, techniques and other helpful strategies of lessening and coping with contractions and other labor pains. One thing is for sure, if you are worried about being able to do it, you need to make sure your husband, nurse, doula, friend...whomever...is there for you 100%. Like I mentioned, labor is hard work. You will be hot and cold and you'll want someone to add counter pressure to your back. You may need massaging or just someone to turn the lights down. Whatever it may be, those should be things that someone else will take care of for you so you can focus on laboring and getting your baby here.

Also, be forewarned that many medical staff are of the idea that any woman is not in her right mind to have an unmedicated childbirth, so they may do things (or at least try) that will make it more difficult to actually obtain a natural birth. For instance, moving around is one of the best things to do when in labor without an epidural, but they will most likely want you to be lying in bed tethered to the EFM because it is more inconvenient for them to come in every 10 minutes to monitor the baby. Both are equally safe, one just seems less convenient to some. So, you may run in to that sort of resistance and if that is the case, you must remain very determined that this is what you want (and in your case your reasoning is understandable) or it probably won't happen.

Oh, and I was definitely not more tired than if I had had an epidural. Most women I have seen are still exhausted after birthing a baby with an epidural. The body will naturally release hormones such as adrenaline that build energy levels. Also, my recovery time was much shorter than had I received an epidural. I was even able to start exercising two weeks after instead of six weeks as most moms are advised.

Jeff, Nancy and Nathan said...

I can tell you it's the worst feeling ever without an epidural. When I had Nathan, I was already a 4, then they put the Pitosin in and started having contractions like crazy. I remember being in a lot of pain, pain like I had never felt before. When I was an 8 they asked me if I wanted an Epidural I said yes. Well the doctor didn't put it on well, so my epidural only worked for twenty minutes. It was the worst thing ever having to go back to this pain. Of course it was my first baby, and first babies are the hardest. It just felt like I was going to break in half. But of course after his head was out, magically the pain went away. With my second baby my epidural did work and I was in heaven. But it all comes down to your decision. I hope you feel better and don't have any seizures while giving birth.

Andrew and Kela said...

Heidi, Just go without the epidural, i mean seriously, it's not that bad! and trust me I would know! I think people often confuse the pleasure of child birth with the worst pain they have ever felt. I don't have anything against medication or not using medication, but in your situation anything to stop the seizure would be worth it. At least i think so, when i have seizures my body aches for days afterwards, and i am exhausted and can't think straight because I am so tired! But seriously, i am very experienced in this area! Well at least I would be if I were that pregnant man that's always on T.V. ... Love Your Little Bro. Andy
p.s. I probably wouldn't take any of this comment seriously.

shauna said...

I think you could do but you do have to prepare beforehand. And your delivery might be quicker since it's your third. If you can do it then you will join the group of elite mothers who could deliver without medicine. I say go for it, but then again I have how painful it all really is.

Keri_B said...

Heidi, I am a huge wimp and I had 3babies without any epidurals. My labors were all pretty quick, just a few hours, so I could handle it. I say if I can do it, you can do it!! Good luck with whatever you decide, I can't wait to meet your little girl!!

Amber said...

I've never done it myself, but I think if you have a cause and some motivationg why NOT to get one, then I think you are all ready ahead of the pain. I would hate for you to have another seizure because I remember how difficult it was having access to only one arm. I say go for it :)

Be prepared and ye shall not fear.

Anne Marie said...

Heidi, I think you can do it if you really need to! Everyone's body is different, but I know I didn't get an epidural with my last one until I was at an 8 (well, I was an 8 when I arrived at the hospital), and looking back, I think I really could have gone through the whole labor. I would have never even considered going without an epidural till that experience because Evie's labor was so long and painful (she was induced - if you're induced, it would be really hard with no pain meds). You don't necessarily have to commit now - you could always go in thinking you'll go as long as possible naturally, and if you end up needing an epidural, then that's ok too!

John and Anna said...

Heidi, when Joshua was born, I wanted to see how long I could go on my own. I ended up at an 8 or so before I got an epidural (and even then it wasn't very effective) and if I had known how close I was I think I could have made it. For me anyway, labor was one of those things that took me right up to what I thought I could handle, and then just past it. I think if you are really determined, educated (like Haylee mentioned, with all the "tricks" that ease the pain of labor), and prepared, you can definitely do it. Don't sell yourself short hon! We modern women are so scared of pain that we don't give ourselves a chance to be strong. I think there's more in us than we know, and birth is definitely one of those experiences that brings that out.
So that's my two cents. Hope it was helpful! Good luck Heidi!